Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Talking books.

Audiobooks are awesome! I just rediscovered the joy of them. I found the section at Randwick Library and have been working through the crime stories, by people like AA Milne and Arthur W Upfield. This is excellent because like DVDs they are free to borrow, and to actually buy they are exorbitantly pricey - even on itunes, unless it is a public domain classic recorded by a volunteer, but I am fussy about the quality of the reader. Anyway, audiobooks provide hours of gentle amusement, and you can enjoy them with your eyes shut, or while doing craft, or walking, or at work.

By the way, libraries are completely awesome in their own right. They are full of books, DVDs, and other cool things, which you can borrow for FREE, and return them late for a very small fee. And winter is the perfect time to make the most of the library.

5 comments:

  1. I must say I'm not a fan of audiobooks. There's something about having a book in my hand that makes the experience a lot better. I love cuddling under my blanket & reading & an audiobook takes away the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a totally different experience. Audiobooks are more like the "Reading out loud" thing, but just having someone read to you. It means that your "reading" is informed by the reading of the other person, their interpretation of the character's voices and emotions, but there is still scope for your own imagination—as opposed to a full on TV adaptation. And so far, I am going for the adventure/crime stories, rather than the more reflective type of book; perhaps some genres should stay in your own head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's also to do with the fact that I'm really not a very good listener if I can't engage with the person I'm listening to. My supervisor realised this & lets me to stuff hands-on as she explains things to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jess J, it just means you're a kinesthetic learner :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think so.

    I mean, I can listen to people. But it's harder when you can't engage in a discussion at the same time.

    ReplyDelete