Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I'm stressed out. Give me a knife.

After a very tiring weekend, and some continuing emotional fragility on Monday, I went home from work a bit early and made pumpkin soup.

It was really quite therapeutic. Rather than watching TV (that's another post), slow* cooking is actually calming. You're using your hands, it's so tactile; you get messy, the house starts to smell yummy, you get warm from the oven, you turn chopped pumpkin into baked pumpkin, you pummel it with a masher and it turns into soup.

Our hands were made for touching and working things, and I think modern life is too smooth, glassy and clean. My magic mouse is very convenient and clever, but it doesn't release stress like a big knife, a wooden chopping board and a butternut pumpkin.

* Slow as opposed to my normal fast lazy cooking.

1 comment: