Thursday, May 20, 2010

Single person eating bulk food

Some fresh vegies are often cheaper in bulk or sold cheaper per kg in bulk. So how does a single person who cooks for one eat cheaply? You've got to be prepared to eat a lot of it in a short amount of time.

There are certain vegies I've worked out I can get away with buying in bulk (and by bulk, I mean larger than normal quantities for one):

Onions
If you store them properly, they should last a while. I often have about half to a whole onion a day. It's a great food for bulking up meals. I just add it to whatever I'm having.

Bean Sprouts
Specifically mung bean sprouts. They only seem to be sold in packets of 450g. That's a lot for one person. So I add a handful to nearly every lunch and dinner when I've got a packet.

Kimchi
This comes sold in a 500g tub. I've only gotten it once, and I ate it within four days I think. Seriously addictive. It's a great late night snack as well.

Button Mushrooms
To be fair, I do pick the smallest prepacked box that I can find. Once again, I chuck it into everything I eat (bar breakfast).

I cannot do a 1kg bag of carrots. They seems to turn black before I even get around to them. It's better value for me to buy one at a time and pay more per kg for it.

I'm currently working through a 1kg bag of green beans. I'm not sick of them yet. Let's see how I go!

I will also need to experiment with Asian vegies (i.e. choy). I suspect I could get away with eating a lot of them.

The other option is to start a food co-op kind of thing with other single people. You buy in bulk, share it with other singles and laugh all the way to the bank with your savings. But I'm not going to start one :P

2 comments:

  1. in the past I found that it almost worked out better to eat out constantly as I'd buy food to cook but then i'd go out, and I found it extremely hard to take advantage of bulk food savings. although I think I put on weight cos of that.
    I no longer buy carrots in kgs cos it's not worth it. also pre-packed button mushrooms are probably fairly expensive per kilo ( the new packaging requirements really put things in perspective about cost).
    Sometimes I also find it is hard to finish things like a whole lettuce, so things that can be loose and weighed are actually a lot better I find. that's it from me. I cook rarely, although I did cook heaps last night but that's because my parents are away, and I figured I'd go to my parents and cook bulk for both (my brother) of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find you have to decide I have time to eat a whole lot of salad stuff, for example, before I can buy enough of the salad stuff to make it worth the effort.

    Pumpkin is great. Cheap, versatile and pretty long-lasting, even after you cut it.

    Onions are a person's best friend. And garlic. And tinned tomato, and some frozen meat. Keep these on standby.

    ReplyDelete