Monday, May 10, 2010

How to look more Asian

Note: this post only applies if you already look Asian to begin with (i.e. like me). If you don't, then it probably won't be much help.

If you want to look more Asian (and you already have the requisite black hair or coloured brown/reddish hair), get a blunt fringe. One right across the eyebrows. I think my new blunt fringe has made me appear more Asian or more fob*, for better or for worse.

I only got this fringe a week ago and already I see the evidence here:

Exhibit A
In the year or so that I've known my orthodontist, he's spoken in English to me, except once where he started speaking in Cantonese, but quickly reverted back to English. Well, last week, he spoke to me in Cantonese for the entire duration of our appointment. It could have been he forgot he usually speaks in English to me, or it could have been the fobby fringe. Note: his receptionist/admin assistant knew to speak in English to me.

Exhibit B
When I was in Beijing with my family, my mum bought me a teal dressing gown with an oriental design. I wore it last night and Noz, my flatmate, burst out laughing when she saw me in it. "You look like...a geisha!" she said. Never gotten that reaction before.

Exhibit C
As I passed the Roundhouse after class today (and note, my uni is well-known for its high level of fob students), the Roundhouse promo guy didn't approach me, but the people behind me to tell them about the free Bluejuice gig in the Roundhouse. Hello! I would totally go to a free Bluejuice gig in the Roundhouse!

The thing is, I don't even dress like a fob (unless they've started shopping at Kmart and Vinnies). However, I have started using the bag my aunt got for me from an Asian country, and it is a very fobby bag. Maybe that has added to it.

And while we're on the topic, here's a couple of pics of my favourite Chinese person with a fringe: Faye Wong!





And while we're on the topic of Faye Wong and fringes, she does this really cool assymetrical fringe which I'd love to copy one day. I probably should do it sooner rather than later, when I have to look a bit more proper.

*fob means fresh off the boat i.e. you've recently arrived in Australia from a foreign land and you haven't lived in Australia previously. I don't mean to use this term in a derogatory way, please don't take offense!

2 comments:

  1. Lol!

    People tell me I don't look Asian; I wonder what's up with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly it's due to your lack of fringe :) Perhaps you should try out some of the fringe benefits :)

    ReplyDelete