Thursday, May 27, 2010

On wearing gumboots

It never ceases to amuse me how many comments I get when I wear my gumboots on a rainy day (granted, they are bright pink and that's probably where most of the comments stem from). To me, it seems like the most logical, practical thing to do on a rainy day, especially if you dislike cold, wet feet (which I assume most people would, but hey, you never know).



Sydney isn't a very rainy city (except for one week in winter), but when it is, most people resort to umbrellas. They don't think about their feet. The only people who wear gumboots seem to be little kids or employees at your local fishmongers.

Gumboots not widely available either. Sure you can get them seasonally at the department stores, but they tend to be a fashion item rather than practical rainwear.

Here are my tips for buying gumboots:
  • If you want practical, sturdy, less likely to slip and leak gumboots, go to a proper shoe store or camping disposal store. My pair are Bata Shoes. I bought them from a shoe shop in Katoomba for about $30. This is a fantastic price for a great product and I wear them whenever it rains
  • If you're after fashion, I think you will tend to find a lower quality product at the cheaper department stores. I don't know what they're like at Myer or DJs. I bought my first adult gumboots from Billabong. Never again. Honestly. What would a surf brand know about gumboots? Mine leaked and cracked. I got wet feet from them, and they were a bit slippery. I chucked them out in Katoomba right after I bought the pink ones.
  • Think about how you want to wear them. Do you want to be able to tuck your pants into them? If so, make sure you pick on that is wide enough for your calves and pants. Do you want to be able to splash in puddles? Perhaps pick calf high ones over ankle ones.
My tips for wearing gumboots:
  • Check the forecast for the day. If there's a possibility of warmer or sunny weather later on in the day, it is worth carrying a pair of flats. You feel like such a fool for wearing gumboots if it's hot and sunny in the afternoon.
  • If you're wearing them to and from work, make sure you have a pair of shoes to change into at work. Gumboots retain heat so your feet can get hot and sweaty if you wear them all day.
  • You may wish to put comfortable lining in the sole if you plan to trudge around in your gumboots a lot.

4 comments:

  1. Target and KMart also sell gumboots but I have no idea what they are like. None of them are yellow though! (I was only looking because I wanted some to go with my Coraline costume.)

    I do find that boots make wet weather all the more bearable. I am so glad I bought CAT boots when I was in Hong Kong in January; they have kept my feet lovely, cosy and dry these past few days when out and about! (I realise they're not gumboots but, you know, they do the job.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Interested parties see my post on lining the sole your gumboots with a thin layer of thong.

    My next problem is that my socks get sucked down, and it is very painful walking on a bunch of sock. I am planning to line my gumboots with something, like fleece or an old tshirt, so I can wear them barefoot but socky soft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found croc gumboots surpass any others. They're extremely lightweight and brightly coloured however are quite expensive (i got mine for 70 dollars). Although well worth it as they're really cute and chunky and look less gumbooty but posses the same function!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the thoughtful tips everyone!

    ReplyDelete