Thursday, May 6, 2010

Haul! Part 2

I said it wasn't all just clothes.


I wanted a laser printer and Bec kindly gave me hers (on a related note, I must remember to post something on how God wonderfully provides for us through other people). It was hogging up space on my study desk and I needed to get some stuff off the floor. So I popped into my local Vinnies and found this metal shelving unit on castors. Perfect! It was $10. I'm thankful to God for his provision in things big and small. Thankful I got a printer when I needed one, and was able to buy this unit so soon after. There were other people after it, but the good people at my Vinnies kept it for me.

This dinner plate caught my eye and was an impulsive buy. It was $2, which is a bit much for a op-shop dinner plate, but I quite liked the design and the retro feel. Plus it was made in Japan. My flatmate groaned, "Not another plate!" when I brought it home.



This next purchase was another impulsive buy. It caught my eye as I walked past it.


I thought it was a cute bag, nicely sized for days you don't want to carry too much (I have placed my mug next to it for size comparison). I peeked inside to check the label.


When I saw the label Fossil, my heartbeat quickened. A genuine Fossil leather handbag for $8?? It looked genuine enough to me! Fossil's the kind of store where I go, "Ooh pretty bags", take one look at the price tag and walk straight out again. I had to admit the leather looked faded, but other than that, it was a great size and in good condition. I was motivated by the thought of owning a Fossil leather bag for $8! I couldn't let anyone else buy it! My flatmate is not a fan of this handbag. I have to admit, I need to stop accumulating bags. I have gone from zero handbags to too many in the space of two years. I really have enough bags now. I don't think I could buy another one, except maybe a sensible black leather handbag if I head into the business environment.

There is that tension of not wanting to be materialistic and clutter up my life with stuff vs seeing nice things at a bargain price. I know it's not a bargain if you don't need it, if it doesn't add value to your life. I think I need an objective friend to help me declutter my stuff.

Haul! Part 3 to come.

2 comments:

  1. "I know it's not a bargain if you don't need it, if it doesn't add value to your life."

    Nice rule to remember. Very wise. Did you think of that yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I've picked it up from all the decluttering literature I've read.

    My lecturer talks a lot about how accountants add value to an organisation, so that's probably what's triggered the concept of value in my head, although decluttering gurus would say something similar about the concept of value.

    ReplyDelete