Monday, May 17, 2010

Music of the Carpenters.

I'm a fairly musical person (piano playing, knowing the words to lots of songs), but I don't have cool taste in music. I'm a fraud. I don't bother to listen to commercial radio because it is annoying, and I find the world of triple J foreign and bewildering. This is a summary of the journey of my musical upbringing.
  1. Singing happily along to the Carpenters on cassette at home.
  2. Thinking that boy bands are cooler.
  3. Finding out that neither the Carpenters nor boy bands are cool, and nobody my age has heard of the Carpenters, so forgetting about them.
  4. Remembering those great Carpenters songs, and enjoying them ironically.
  5. Singing happily along to the Carpenters on itunes at work.
Don't ever knock Karen Carpenter!

6 comments:

  1. I've heard of the Carpenters and I know their songs! My dad used to listen to 2WSFM and they were played all the time. I also remember watching a tele-movie on them when I was little. I was very sad when Karen died of anorexia. Her story and their music stayed in my heart though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost know We've Only Just Begun well enough to sing along with you :) I know most of the lyrics. I can't really listen to the Carpenters without feeling depressed by how Karen died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had a good look at Karen Carpenter before. She has some fairly spectacular bangs...
    Maybe I will get some in her honour?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a tragic loss. And unfortunately she didn't become more famous and credible after she died, like Eva Cassidy... she is forever trapped as a underrated pop singer.

    Heather, that fringe does not advance the cause of fringes OR Karen. Find another way to honour her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Carpenters are awesome. There. I've said it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Together we could bring in Carpenter Cool.

    ReplyDelete