Monday, May 17, 2010

Need your brain to work? Eat carbs.

I've been re-reading The New Glucose Revolution (3rd Ed) by Prof Jennie Brand-Miller, Kaye Foster-Powell and Prof Stephen Colagiuri. It's all about the glycemic index (GI). If you are unfamiliar with GI, I highly recommend you read it and consider the foods that you eat.

This is what I have learnt in regards to brain food (page 18):

Except during starvation, carbohydrate is the only source of fuel which our brains can use.
Intellectual performance is improved following the intake of a carbohydrate-rich food. Demanding tasks are most improved, while easy tasks are not affected. Furthermore, blood glucose levels decline more during a period of intense cognitive processing.
Improved mental ability following a carbohydrate meal was demonstrated in all types of people - young people, university students, people with diabetes, healthy elderly people and those with Alzheimer's disease.
What does this mean for us wishing to keep our brain functioning at peak performance? Avoid low-carb diets and load up on carbs if you are doing intellectually demanding work.

I know what I'll be eating in the lead up to my exam.

1 comment:

  1. That's very interesting. Ergh, for every bit of advice you get anti-something, there is another bit of advice going the other way. I am in little danger of starving my brain through lack of carbs!

    ReplyDelete