Thursday, September 16, 2010

Who needs men?

My life has been dominated by women. I grew up in a mostly female household, in a very matriarchal family structure. I went to an all-girls high school. I was in a single-sex Bible study at church for years. I started out in a female-dominated degree. I've continued to live with women only since moving out of home. I'm part of what Jess affectionately calls the single women ghetto. My closest friends are female.

Someone asked me earlier tonight why I dropped out of my first degree. At the time, I forgot that this was one of the reasons, but it was partly because I was driven nuts by being surrounded by women all the time. It felt imbalanced. I transfered into another degree which was still dominated by women, but significantly less so. [You'll be relieved to know the major reason I transferred was I disliked the degree!]

It's made me realise, I need men in my life to balance out all the women in my life. Don't get me wrong. I love and value my female friends and the women in my life. But there is something that is just different about men that I can't quite put my finger on. Perhaps most of the men I know just tend to be pleasant to be around.

So my great whiz bang thesis is that women need men because they're different to women. I can't pinpoint exactly why, but I think men bring a degree of sanity to my otherwise female-dominated life.

Perhaps that's just how God has made it...

Who needs the Kwik-E-Mart? I doooo....

5 comments:

  1. It goes the other way too. I heard a man say that men are affected by women in a good way, in just general conversation and everyday stuff. I think it was something they observed at MTC. Can't remember who it was.

    It still feels weird to say "men" all the time, not "guys".

    ReplyDelete
  2. GHETTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :D

    haha

    You know what? I like men a lot. I used to have lots of guy friends when I wasn't a Christian. I miss it now... it seems like lots of them (Christian guys) just don't know how to be your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the moment, I'm confused with my friendship with a brother in Christ since he's started dating this year. Coffee doesn't seem like something we can anymore as friends, & that makes me sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I feel the opposite at the moment Elsie! My closest friends at the moment are guys, and I live with my brothers! I miss "feminine" conversation and girl-time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jess G: I'm finding it hard to say "men" all the time instead of "guys" too. I resorted to "fellas".

    @Hayley: See you at KESC then!! You'll get a dose of single women ghetto!!!!

    ReplyDelete