Tuesday, September 7, 2010

How not to change a lightbulb.

This is quite dodgy, I'm not sure if I should be blogging it. I am the lady* who stuck my finger in a light socket last year and got zapped. I give you this disclaimer: don't copy me.

So, I got back from the weekend and the lightbulb had busted. The next night I decided to change it, jiggled it to see if it was bayonet or screw in, and guessed screw. Wrong. I twisted the bulb socket right off the old fragile wires.

Groan. Now I have to contact the real estate agent, and waste work hours waiting at home for an electrician. And be in the dark when I want to sew.

Unless…

Two wires and two holes. Can't be that hard.

I can't believe I did it. I'm quite proud, but I'm afraid to turn the light on yet. Actually, I noticed I left off the guard bit, so I have to undo it and re do it.

I sent photos to a tech team friend to check I did it right. He said turning off the power to the lights at the mains is a good idea (ahhhh), and "make sure no daggy wires hang out", and definitely put the guard back on. Any other tips before I put a bulb in and flick the switch? **

* Making an effort not to call myself a 'girl' as per Elsie's post.

** Other than I promise not to do it again.

3 comments:

  1. wow. very proud of you. i think it should be fine. Good advice from your friend, i think those "daggy wires" would be a fire hazard.

    i heart DIY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's illegal for a anyone who isn't a licensed electrician to do this. I would recommend calling the real estate agent, and having them arrange this, or, if you know an electrician, ask them to do it for you.
    If you need, I have a lamp that I can lend to you, so you don't have to be sewing in the dark.
    I would also suggest that it's not particularly helpful to recommend this work to anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree, it was a silly thing to do. DO NOT COPY ME.

    I'll hold off testing it until I hear from the agent.

    ReplyDelete