Sunday, September 19, 2010

Souped up

I'm really chuffed with the state of my freezer. It is full of the following soups:



Here's why I like soups:

Economical
Soups are extremely economical if you make them from vegies that are in season or on special.

Healthy
I make my soups out of non-starchy vegies and I omit cream. That's not to say that starchy vegies or cream will kill you, but when you want to have a lower kJ snack in between meals, this kind of soup is great AND you're on your way to getting in your daily five serves of vegies.

Freezable
There are certain kinds of soups that don't fare so well after you freeze them (i.e. those containing dairy, potato, eggplant or mushroom because they break down on thawing, according to recipes+ magazine). But for those that do freeze well, they are great to have in the freezer. You can always add your dollop of cream to your soup (if desired) just before you serve it.

Versatile
You just want a lower kJ snack in between meals? Have the soup as is. You want a more substantial meal? Add some carbs, protein and fat to make it a meal e.g. avocado on toast plus 1/4 BBQ chicken or add cooked pasta/potato and shredded, cooked chicken to the soup.

Easy
General principles in making soups:
1. Cook the vegies (either by roasting in the oven or simmering in stock/water)
2. Blitz the vegies (with water or stock) to desired consistency

Hospitable
If you have a few soups and dinner rolls in the freezer, they make a great meal on hand if unexpected guests drop by. Reheat the soup, pop the dinner rolls in the oven and you've got yourself a meal. If you've made your soup purely with vegetable-based ingredients, you can even serve it to vegan friends and most people aren't allergic to vegetables, so it's great for people with various intolerances.

Braces friendly
'nuff said!

I'll let you know when I have the recipes up.

5 comments:

  1. Nice! Soups ARE great! I'm a big fan as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tips about veggies that don't defrost well.

    Also, 5 serves of veg takes a bit of effort I find. Bread eats itself, I have to be deliberate about veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any vegan friends actually (none that I can think of). I've been quite inhospitable of late, haven't had many friends over at all! It's probably still not too late for steamboat...haven't brought out the machine all season...

    Recipes will be up...eventually :)

    ReplyDelete