Thursday, February 11, 2010

Of Books and Birkenstocks

I've worked out a bargain way of buying books and Birkenstocks.

When it comes to books, I'm usually quite happy to borrow them from the library or get them second-hand. However, I don't always have the time to look for second-hand books nor are they always available. So I will usually head straight to booko and let it compare various websites for me, to tell me which is the cheapest online store to get it from. If it happens to be Borders Online, I will hop over to OzBargain and see if there are any valid 20% or 25% off voucher codes and apply it to my order. Savings galore!

If booko tells me that Book Depository is the cheapest, I will visit both the US and UK site to see if there is any price difference. They too do free shipping.

For Birkenstocks, you will rarely find them on sale in Sydney at a Birkenstock outlet. They pretty much never do sales. You'll find them on sale at Hype when they have their post-Christmas 20% off in stock sale, but they don't carry a large range of Birks. You might also find them on sale if a shoe retailer is trying to get rid of the last of their stock. They're not much cheaper at the shopping outlet at Birkenhead Point either. So I turn to eBay. You can get a pair brand new shipped from Germany at about 65% of the original price (and that includes postage). Or you could try Birkibox, which ships directly from Germany and they sell on eBay as well.

Birks are quite sturdy, so I've only bought my second pair after having my first for over four years (and that was wearing them a lot).

2 comments:

  1. you're going to need more birks now that you're going back to uni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart thinking. I buy all my books from Book Depository and my birks from a lovely German eBay seller who gives me free postage. The birks work out at fifty five bucks a pair, a bargain!
    Thanks for letting the general public know.

    ReplyDelete