Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Handbag v backpack

Handbags are the correct way for a lady to carry around her purse and other lady business.

They are fun to shop for, because you don't have to go into a change room. They can be very pretty. They can have secret pockets and special lining and hidden compartments. Who can resist?

However, handbags and satchels are usually carried on the one side all the time. It's like crossing your arms the other way, it feels all unbalanced and wrong to tuck your bag under the other shoulder. Carrying something heavy on one side means your back is twisting to the other side to compensate. Not good for you. One day you'll bite into a carrot and your jaw will get stuck, and you'll have to undo all the contributing factors.

So, backpacks. They are all basically sporty, ugly, and comfortable. Not ladylike at all, but when you walk a lot and carry heaps of stuff around, the backpack beats the handbag.

I wish there was an in between way.

5 comments:

  1. Wish no more.

    http://backpackhandbag.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I wanted to comment first. I have a backpack/handbag. It's great. But it's getting all shabby. But it's still great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I didn't know it was called that. It's awesome. I got it in Eastgardens on Level 3 near Woolworths. Not sure there's more there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one, Dave! I like those sorts of backpacks--small, trendy-looking, rather chic. I used to own one and then it broke. And then I switched to handbags. Or rather to 'pockets', like the one I have now ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only ones I've seen are very 90s, black fake leather, as worn with a denim jacket. I'm on the lookout for something cuter!

    ReplyDelete