Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Jelssie vocab: Greetings!

I do not wish our common tongue to become bland. We should strive to be more creative in our expression. We shall colour our speech with words and phrases we like the sound of. I will include suggestions and examples in my posts for you to incorporate into your daily life as you see fit.

Today's vocabulary topic is Hello/Goodbye. Instead of Hi, Hey, or Hellohowareyou, why not say:

Good morrow!
or:
Greetings, dear sir/lady!

And instead of Bye, why not say:

Farewell!
or:
I must away!

4 comments:

  1. For Bye:

    how about - " to go I must!", "it is time for us to part" or "alas it is time" or "I bade you goodbye"

    and For hello:

    "good 'morrow", "greetings, earthling" or "how do you do?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good suggestions! 'Alas' should be used at every opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also "fare thee well"
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm collecting topics for more posts in the series!

    ReplyDelete