Friday, July 23, 2010

Not quite a retirement village

In case you've been living under a rock, these facts exist:

- there are a lot of single people in society AND

- housing affordability is bad in Sydney.

When you're single and of a certain age, you start to want to live alone. But you don't want to be completely isolated. You want the benefits of having a flatmate (someone to come home to, someone to zip you up when you're getting into a dress) and living alone (having the furniture you want, structuring your household the way you want). For a single female living alone, I would want to live somewhere that offered a degree of safety and convenience (especially if car-less).

I've raised this topic with a few people, and what we need is sort of a retirement village for single people. That is, you get your own apartment, or room to live in, but there are some communal areas available for you to get your daily dose of human contact. Kind of like a dormitory, but home-lier and much nicer. Or like a share house, but centrally organised by someone, with a regular cleaner, and a few living rooms for doing things in. That way, you can hide in your room when you need to be alone, but come out and frolick when you crave company.

Perhaps you could even get a car sharing scheme going if there were enough of you.

5 comments:

  1. I think about this all the time! This morning I was imagining I was rich so that I could buy a 6 bedroom mansion and some of my friends could move in, and it would have ensuites, a really big double kitchen and a home theatre and a craft room and a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Yes I like the idea of separate apartments best, like a retirement village, because it's the "communal living area" about flat sharing that is one of the things I end up liking least. The reason for this is the TV. The TV always seems to take priority over the living area, and there are actually things that are incompatible, like reading a book or listening to music, so I always end up forced into my room. Thus I can rarely even sit on my own couches and read a book. In my dream life I have a nice "living room" all to myself where I can listen to music and read or do whatever I please, and there's no sodding TV!

    ReplyDelete