Friday, July 9, 2010

How to fall ill

I'm experiencing my second sore throat in the space of a month (*dislike*) and I'm starting to notice a pattern. It goes a little like this:

1. Feel majorly stressed out/overwhelmed about something -> 2. Start to have sleeping problems from the stress -> 3. Feel tired from lack of sleep -> 4. Ditch the regular exercise to catch up on sleep -> 5. Eat junk food/unhealthily to cope with stress or you just don't put in the effort because of stress -> 6. Sore throat -> 7. Whammo! Sick as a dog.

If I've learnt anything, it's that all those little factors of good stress management techniques, getting enough sleep, exercising regularly and eating well that keep you healthy and feeling strong. It doesn't make you immune from illness, but it does keep you healthy most of the time. And for me, I know that regular, daily exercise helps me to sleep better. So it's all a nasty cycle when you get caught in ditching the exercise to sleep, and then you don't exercise because you're tired.

Last month, when I got my first sore throat, I denied I was falling ill and pushed on, and it was not a pretty sight. This time, I'm going to admit I'm sick and rest, rest, rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment