Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Conversations (via email) with a 60 year old boy.

[Emails occasionally pass between Sydney and Maitland. Excerpts from a recently received reply.]
Now, I must approach a delicate subject. One of the reasons you were sent to Sydney (and indeed, commissioned by your church I believe) was (not to put too fine a point on it) to find a bloke. Having been trained in all the skills and qualities lionised in Proverbs 31, we (and I speak here in loco avus - in place of your grandfather, (who I understand is quite incapacitated at the moment)) knew there was no-one in Maitland who was worthy of you …
[continued rant at the apparent blindness of young men in Sydney…]

To conclude, dear Jess; you were given the mandate to hunt. It didn't seem likely that you would have to invoke that mandate - it should have been enough just to announce your arrival in town, but it seems that you may need to move to the next phase of attack. Having said this, I quite understand if you are delaying a strike until you get your braces off. But I trust it's only temporary temporising.
[my reply explaining my theories on why I have not been snapped up]
You certainly face a challenge. I always found that belonging to a group (a ghetto of single girls doesn't quite cut it as a group Jess) with a common cause (outreach, social action, musical, knitting (hmm, perhaps not the latter)) was the best way to find a mate. There is commonality of purpose and interest that allows one to have an eye legitimately on two goals. Take a friend, but not two (overwhelming). You seem to be a 'girl's girl' and it is good to have mates, but to a guy that's intimidating. A bit like a shark chasing a school of sardines, he won't know which direction to turn for a meal and just blunders about. Not a real flash analogy, but an interesting picture of the hunt, and a lot of blundering does go on.

Regards,

DB

2 comments:

  1. Interesting subtext there. Are you a lesser person for being single?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read that at all. He is a very tounge-in-cheek person. Where do you see it?

    ReplyDelete