Sunday, July 25, 2010

Don't beat yourself up

One thing I've learnt is not to beat myself up over bad decisions. I need to accept that I've made a bad decision, learn what I need to learn from it and MOVE ON.

Case in point: I need to buy a microeconomics and macroeconomics textbook for class. I can buy them together as a bundle, brand-new for about $145 (the macro one alone costs $112 brand new!).

I took a risk and decided to buy them separately second-hand. I bought the micro one for $65, but could not get the macro one at $60. I'm now looking to buy it second-hand for $75.

So effectively, I've only saved $5. For the time and effort put in to source the second-hand textbook, I should have just bought it brand new as a bundle. Part of me is tempted to kick myself for not buying the brand new bundle to begin with, but what does beating yourself up over it achieve? No good.

The lesson I need to learn is, if I can't make a significant saving buying books second-hand, and if the time and effort put into sourcing them isn't worth the monetary saving, just get the bundle brand new. You're making a saving there anyway. You can't always get the best outcome possible. Sometimes good enough is good enough.

Sometimes it helps to take a step back and look at the whole situation. A friend is lending me a textbook for one of my subjects, so I've saved there! Plus this kind of thing isn't worth worrying about in my current situation. Get just the textbooks and get on with the study.

Now to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment