Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Haircut time again.

I put off going to the hairdresser as long as I can. I dislike going to a hairdresser. I prefer the dentist, and that is saying something because I've had enough dentistry in the past 2 years to put me off it for a lifetime.

Why I don't like getting a haircut.
  1. Timing the appointment. Figuring out which upcoming event I would most benefit from having nice fresh hair. Wedding? Weekend away?
  2. Choosing a hairdresser. Cheap asian or Tony & Guy? What is the cost/risk benefit?
  3. Wearing the cape. I hate the high-necked cape. It is a What Not To Wear sin.
  4. Staring at myself in the mirror under unflattering lights with my hair clipped backwards.
  5. Chit-chat. Salon chit-chat irks me.
Dentists, on the other hand, have space-age recliner chairs, soft music, no mirrors, and don't feel obliged to chat to you in a chirpy shop-girl voice. It's an exaggerated contrast, but I do have a disproportionate dislike of haircuts.

3 comments:

  1. You hit the nail with point 5. I definitely concur on the hatred of chit-chat.

    But point 3? Come now. Capes are one of life's rare pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! Superhero capes, yes, but it's a backwards choking cape, and your hands are trapped under it when you need to scratch your nose. I feel more like a foolish supervillain.

    I remember the golden days of MMM radio when Get This ran Capril, a month of celebration of capes.

    I wish cloaks would make a comeback. Like Aragorn, or Jane Bennet. And hooded ponchos too. I'd wear one. The only disadvantage is no pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! you just need to try to evangelise them.. sometimes you actually have a really good chat.

    Go to Shine in Kenso, it's really good, and cheap too... minimal chit chat and they also offer tea or coffee :P

    I hate the sink they wash your hair in. Overall, I like someone else washing my hair, but it's so uncomfortable in the back of ur neck.

    ReplyDelete