Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What I hate about Todd Sampson.

(the cool, good looking panelist on Gruen)
  1. His name is Todd. Eugh.
  2. He's naturally and carefully good-looking. Bone structure and disheveled hair.
  3. He dresses so hip. Ooooh, Threadless. So much cred.
  4. He appeals to the audience as one of them, but he works for ad agencies. Hypocrite.
  5. He goggles his eyes to get people to listen to him and appear more earnest.
  6. He talks over the other guy (Russel). Talking over people is rude, even if you sound earnest.
  7. He gives consumers no credit for their own decisions. It's all 'big bad corporations'. I take responsibility for every bottle of water I buy, you don't have to demonise Coke and treat me like an ignorant victim of evil corporate marketing. I have a brain, you know.
And for all that Russel Howcroft comes across as a suited marketing shark, at least he is open about it. He is honest about being sneaky, which I like. And he stands up for the intelligence of consumers (even if so that he can get away with being more sneaky). And I discovered he is actually just as socially responsible as Todd Sampson, I think he set up an organisation to help not-for-profits with media and marketing (compared to, say, inventing Earth Hour). So I'm on team Russel.

2 comments:

  1. But Todd is hot and Russel is not. I would fantasise about Todd, but never about Russel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not deny Todd is the better looking one. But to quote Michael Scott: "I hate so much about the things that you* choose to be."

    * I mean Todd, not you of course Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete