Thursday, August 19, 2010

It's alive!

Woah. I got on the bus today. Nothing special about that. It was a bit crowded. I slowly made my way down to the back of the bus, planning on standing there so there'd be more room up front as more passengers got on. A guy gentleman sitting down saw me make my way down the bus. As I got close to him, he leapt up and offered his seat to me. It's alive people! Chivalry is ALIVE! I didn't even look at him or anything, or expect that kind of thing to happen. It just did.

Even though I'm capable of standing on my own two feet on a crowded bus, I graciously accepted. After all, how could he feel like a gentleman if I refused? :) I appreciated his act of chivalry. Acts of chivalry always make a woman feel like a lady and feel special :)

5 comments:

  1. I've experienced this a few times as well. It's so much more alive than in Singapore. Men in Singapore can learn a thing or two from this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it's sometimes appreciated.. I see it backfire a lot in my daily commutes. Guy offers seat, lady gets offended.

    My rule these days, after a few such embarressments, is just standing up when it feels to me like I should, but without the verbal offer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get a little confused sometimes because with older men it can go either way. I've stood up for an elderly man. But on the bus last Friday I saw a sort of elderly man stand up for Jess K.

    And really, nobody should refuse an offer made in politeness, cos it's just throwing it back in their face. They are probably the type of woman who complains that a gift of flowers is so unimaginative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a tricky feminist issue, but I generally smile and say thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got up for a pregnant lady today and she refused! I'm pretty sure she was pregnant, not overweight. My ego was fine, but I was thinking, "Just sit down lady! You're pregnant! Don't be a hero!" but maybe she was getting off the bus soon. She was holding onto her husband (or a man I assumed was her husband).

    ReplyDelete