Sunday, August 15, 2010

Far out brussels sprouts!

Growing up in Australia, there was a sense that brussels sprouts were a generally disliked vegetable amongst kids. I, however, had a very Asian upbringing when it came to food. I don't think brussels sprouts ever made it into our home. Hence, they became very exotic to me (and quite honestly, I'm not sure I even knew what they looked like for the first twenty-odd years of my life). I may have eaten them once at a restaurant, and that's about the extent of it.

In my quest to be adventurous with vegetables, I decided to pick up a bag of brussels sprouts at the greengrocer since they were so cheap ($1.20 for a bag, 99c at ALDI). I wasn't sure how to cook or eat them, so I peeled the outer layers, chopped the bottom off, quartered them and steamed them on high with some water in the microwave for two minutes.

They are actually quite lovely, like mini cabbages. I wonder if you could make kimchi with it?

I'm thankful I didn't grow up disliking brussels sprouts because they are a very cheap green vegie when they are on special. $1 peoples!! Cheap cheap source of green!

2 comments:

  1. You do have to be creative to eat 5 serves of veg a day! I am currently eating broccoli, raw and dipped in hommus. Not a fan of broc, but it is 88c kilo, and hummus is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's with the obsession with kimchi? haha

    I'm not a fan of the sprout.

    ReplyDelete