Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Jelssie vocab: Sickness.

Put those boring disease words away this winter. Sick, flu and cold have all but lost their meaning. They raise no sympathy anymore. Instead, try these ones out.

Lurgeitis. "The dreaded lurgy" sounds interesting the first time only, then it sounds like a mum joke, so try Lurgitis instead. I haven't decided on spelling yet.

Incapacitated. "This is an incapacitating cough." Sounds extremely severe.

Poorly. "I feel quite poorly." One of my flatmates used to say "I'm poorly" in a special feeble voice, for extra sympathy.

Ill. A simple word, but often overlooked. "I feel ill" is understated but effective.

Attack of the vapours. Not sure what this is, something to do with corsets and smelling salts maybe, but it grabs me. "I'm suffering from an attack of the vapours!" Although… it has a distinctly female euphemistic quality to it. It makes you sound perioidal.

No comments:

Post a Comment