Monday, August 30, 2010

Underhated: Font hate.

Hating Comic Sans is just a way of fitting in among people who are cool about typography; most people don't genuinely hate Comic Sans, its more a sort of in-joke which is so widespread it's not 'in' anymore. If there was a way to wipe a font from the face of the earth, I would keep Comic Sans and I would DESTROY COPPERPLATE GOTHIC. Oh, how I loathe it. Like Michael Scott says: "I hate so much about the things that you choose to be"*. I can remember innocently using it in an assignment at Uni, and then driving around Newcastle and noticing it everywhere, on real estate signage, a funeral parlour, a butcher shop. And I realised it was common, and I realised it was ghastly, and I realised I did not like it. Over time, that dislike turned to a deep hatred, so that I can't help noticing it, staring at it, and being disgusted at the person who thought it was a good typography choice. And that is how to hate a font.

*Michael Scott quote on youtube here.

4 comments:

  1. I once used Copperplate Gothic in a history assignment in year 7. I think that's the only time when one can possibly be excused for using it - when one is 12 years old.

    Incidently, my husband loathes Papyrus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus_%28typeface%29). He appears to have a physical adverse reaction to it...

    hui yee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad others identify!

    I noticed Papyrus around for a while, cos it is the Crocodile Hunter font, but then it faded from my notice, otherwise it may have replaced CG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whats so horrible about it? What has it done to deserve such hate? Poor font, I feel sorry for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's too wide, and basically ugly, then with the little serifs on every end to make it look classy. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete