Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Media and Politics.

It's a symbiotic relationship. Someone a bit older than me once pointed out that even when there is no election around, never a day goes by without the PM making news; and they could remember back to when you would go for weeks without hearing about the PM. That sounds like heaven! Certainly, in 2010 by the time the election campaigns starts pumping we are already fed-up and over-informed. I've stopped watching the news on TV and I still can't avoid it all.

It strikes me, though, that the Greens are quite low-profile in the news, only weigh in with a comment or policy point when it benefits them, and do not receive the same kind of celebrity hounding about annoying accents or budgie-smugglers*. Nor is there anywhere near as much critique of their policies. They are a minor party, sure, but growing in influence, so I'm waiting for the day when they get dragged into the 24hour news cycle, because I think some of the shine might wear off, and we will be completely sick of them, too. Or, here's a thought, the other parties could learn from their "less is more" approach and we would all benefit.

* I HATE THAT PHRASE: IT'S NOT AMUSING ANY MORE.

No comments:

Post a Comment