Friday, June 8, 2012

Mug.


I have earned a reputation for being frugal. I like to think I have even made frugal cool. I used to be a bit embarrassed about eating food other people would throw away or buying something on special that doesn't fit properly and altering it myself. Now I say, if you can't enjoy unlimited wealth, enjoy limited wealth.

But I have boundaries, as G discovered when I recently advised her to go straight to Good Guys and spend some money. I went 3 weeks with no fridge, but 1 week with no TV remote. I spent quite a bit of energy wondering what to do about the fridge, but went right out and spent $60 on the remote. No question. I need to watch TV. That's not a luxury.


Currently I am thinking long and hard about this cup. It's been my office tea mug for several years. I bought it at Coles for the specific purpose of office hydration, before I remembered that I had a cupboard full of mugs at home and I will never need to buy mugs ever in my life. They come from NTE, they come in sets of 4 with 4 plates and 4 bowls, they come out my ears. I have 2 mugs that I actually like and use at home, which were thoughtful gifts. I have 20 other mugs.

So anyway, the office mug is chipped. It doesn't matter because it doesn't affect the performance of the cup in any way. It's opposite the handle so my lips don't have to touch it. Frugal me is trying to keep the mug.

But small-kitchen declutterer me is thinking "I can legitimately get rid of this mug, and reduce the number of mugs I have at home and don't use. I can bring in one of the mugs that came with the plates."

This is difficult a choice between 2 good jelssie things!

4 comments:

  1. My only concern is that the chip would be a breeding ground for bacteria. I think I read that once, somewhere. That's why I tend not to use chipped crockery, and why I get annoyed if I get chipped stuff when I eat out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's only my own bacteria, which I am OK with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you use it for something other than drinking, and thus get to do both?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh. That's an idea. Pencil tin or something.

    ReplyDelete