Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Lights, power, action.

Changing lightbulbs is annoying and inconvenient and I put it off as long as possible. Me and my flatmate have been using the bathroom with a torch for 2 days, because it's such a nuisance to change: get a thing to stand on, (normally remove the light cover except that I left it off last time for efficiency), remove a lightbulb correctly (unscrew the screw one, unlock the bayonet one, not the other way around, as you can damage our old wiring), see if we have the right type of light bulb under the sink, if not—put new light bulb on a shopping list (current state of affairs), buy new light bulb, get a thing to stand on again, replace light bulb. I had a mini temper tantrum last night and kicked the bathroom door to release my frustration.

On the other hand... one of the small things I am proud of is knowing how to flip the switch in the box in the kitchen and get the magical electricity to be on again. It's invaluable to know that when you hear a pop and everything goes quiet or dark, you don't panic, or call a professional, or eat ice-cream for dinner. You know where the switch is, and you confidently flip it. It makes me feel so capable. It's not an obvious thing everyone knows, and it's not a thing that my parents taught me when I was home schooled. I somehow learned it myself in the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment