Thursday, June 14, 2012

Brows

I am not one of those people who can groom their own eyebrows. I just can't. I don't have the skills. So I usually go and find someone to do them for me. I've had them waxed, tweezed and threaded. Let me share my experience with you:

Curious Hair, Maroubra
In my humble opinion, this is the best place to get your brows done. Tweezed into a nice shape for about $15-$20. Unfortunately, this place is no longer around the corner from me, so I've had to go elsewhere. The only con is that you do your brows in the shop front, so you are visible to passerbys.

Threading
There's a place in Chatswood called Weena Skin Care Centre, and near her is another threader. I've also seen someone at the Kirribilli General Markets offer threading services for $10. I had my brows threaded for a while, but I've decided to stop going because I didn't like the end result of my last threading and I find it the most painful form of eyebrow shaping. Literally, tears streaming down my face sometimes.

Waxing
I've been to various places, and they're more or less the same.

Eastwood
I saw a handwritten sign that said, "Eyebrow tweeze and shape. $10". That is ridiculously cheap, especially compared to a Benefit Brow Bar. Might have to give it a go if I'm feeling brave one day.

Benefit Brow Bar
You'll find them in Myers and Benefit stores. The service is not bad. The woman who did my brows didn't do such a great job on the left brow, but did a great job on the right brow. If the left brow was as good as the right one, I'd rave about them. They're the most expensive option listed here, but the most convenient as well. Also, you do it right in the middle of the cosmetics section of Myer, so you have to not mind about that kind of thing.

At the end of the day, the end result really depends on the skill of the person doing your brows. Any of those three methods can achieve good results, but it's the skill of your brow person that makes the difference.

What's your brow experience like? Do you do your own?

4 comments:

  1. I'm quite particular about my brows & usually get them done the same time I do my upper lip. I go to this Asian place on Bathurst St in the city, called Noble. I think it's about $12.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. Do they wax, tweeze or thread?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This unique method of hair removal comes from Middle Eastern countries such as Iran and Syria. The "threader" uses a long piece of thread held between her teeth and wrapped around the arms and hands in such a way that a loop is created. Then, with swift, rapid motions each hair is plucked away in a short period of time. The speed in which this technique is done is truly amazing.

    Threading offers no benefit over and above what tweezing does other than a relatively large amount of hair can be removed all at once in just a few minutes (and someone else is doing the work). Otherwise, your hair grows back exactly how it would if you tweezed."

    From http://www.cosmeticscop.com/hair-removal-options.aspx

    ReplyDelete