Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Vere is ze cheesecake?

While perusing the dessert menu at Bavarian Bier Cafe the other night, a thought struck me. Why is there no Bavarian Cheesecake on the menu? I'm sure most of us have had Sara Lee Bavarian Cheesecake at some point. Doesn't that mean Bavarians are famous for their cheesecakes? Or is it a made up dish like Singapore noodles* and Mongolian lamb?

*I'm aware they have noodles in Singpore and they probably just don't call it Singpore noodles there. And I think someone told me there's no Mongolian lamb in Mongolia. But I am sure Hainan chicken rice HAS something to do with Hainan.

6 comments:

  1. I think Singaporean noodles are just egg noodles or hokkien mee and Hainan Chicken rice is Hainan Chicken rice... mmmm...

    There's also no such thing as Shandong Chicken in Shandong.

    However, majorly losing business having a Bavarian Bier Cafe without Bavarian Cheesecake... that's just shortsightedness on the chef's side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, but I think Peking Duck is called Peking Duck in Beijing. Or more accurately it's called Beijing Roast Duck, or just Roast Duck for short :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never once saw what we call Bavarian Cheesecake during the year I lived in Bavaria. There were, however, cakes with lots of chocolate and cherries in the Black Forrest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep, LC I asked Steph H the other day, she says there's no bavarian cheesecake, but there's blackforest!

    ReplyDelete