Monday, October 11, 2010

Poached in 30 seconds

Did you know you can poach an egg in the microwave? I used to think poaching an egg in cling wrap in a pot of simmering water was the most fail-proof way of poaching, but now I have discovered an easier method. Here's what you do:

1. Crack an egg into a small, Chinese-style rice bowl or an Western-style teacup.
2. Pierce the yolk.
3. Cover with microwave-safe lid.
4. Heat on high for 30 seconds.

And that's it! There was some exploded egg white on the cover and turntable of the microwave, but other than that, this is probably the easiest and least fuss way I can think of for poaching eggs. The cooked egg slides out easily.

This method has been sitting in my Australian Womens Weekly Cookbook, unbeknownst to me, until my temporary flatmate pointed it out. Ah, the joys of living with someone else: all the helpful, little things you learn.

4 comments:

  1. Do yo find the clingwrap method takes too long? Mine took possibly 10 mins to cook (not even all the way through).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My clingwrap came unravelled in the water last time I tried it. And then I made rubbery fried eggs!

    Is the white cooked and the yolk runny in this microwave method?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jess Jo we have an induction stove, so when I cooked mine, I let it simmer, then I turned off the heat, put the lid on, and left it there and went and did something else, so not sure how long it took me.

    @Little I have yet to get a cooked white and runny yolk. I've tried :)

    ReplyDelete