Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Sudoku.

Something amazing happened today, something which has turned my world upside down. Up until today, the highlight of my short sudoku career was last Monday, when while home sick in bed I finished the HARD Samurai Sudoku.

First of all, there are, in my understanding, two schools of thought on sudoku.

1. Some people, like my housemate, believe that you should never have to guess, you just need to keep looking at it til you see the next logical step.

2. Others, like my uncle, thank that a valid method of solving a problem is to make a guess, pencil it in, and then work through a few more steps to see if it is true.

I side with the first rule, because I do not have the patience to follow through if I try the second way. Whenever I guess, it all goes wrong and I am too frustrated to work back and try again.

So anyway, I had a week-old puzzle which I had only written in half a dozen numbers (in pencil). After many lunchtimes spent staring at it, I knew I would have to start guessing. So today I started guessing (in PEN!). And it worked.

All hail me, queen of sudoku!

2 comments: