Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Don't get me started on church music!

I have definite opinions. At my old church I used to call myself the Music Nazi.

I commented on a Sydney Anglicans discussion about the dulness of church music, mostly complaining about the uninspiring songs, but of course branching off into lack of quality in musos and all the other things SydAngs love to bemoan when asked about music.

Partly I agree, but partly I'm sick of people complaining about this stuff. In my comment, I finished :
Complaining about the songs only gets you so far. The other issues are lazy, passive congregations and the fact that western culture as a whole has almost completely let go of corporate singing (yeah, except at Coldplay concerts).
Church music isn't the job of the music team, it is the joy of the congregation.

2 comments:

  1. hehe I think I know who you were having that conversation with... and yes you make some very good points which I agree with.

    If only congregations were like the audiences at Coldplay concerts (did you go to their one this year?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I saw them, it was pretty cool!

    Congregations have the power! in my experience as a church muso and being at different churches and conferences, the BEST music happens when the congregation put their hearts into it. I would always choose 30 enthusiastic people with a guitar over 100 self-concious or lazy people letting the band do all the work.

    Like I said, don't get me started :)

    ReplyDelete