Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I'm on the global rich list!

Sleep routine is very important. I always listen to Nightlife on ABC radio, it helps me nod right off. If I can't sleep, then there is something to listen to.

My favourite talkbacks are about money. The share market, the poor, the debt levels, the housing prices. Is it just me? Economics is fascinating! I'm in heaven with a doco about the GFC or Enron. So last night I fell asleep as usual during a talk with the barefoot investor and a man called Arun Abey, who was on once talking about the Smith Family. So I downloaded the podcast and listened in full today. Here is an interesting gem:

On the Occupy Wall Street protest, Barefoot said we aren't the 99%, globally we are the 1%. I've heard that sentiment before. We are rich if we have running water. But he mentioned a nifty website that turns it into a real number for you, a reality. You put in your annual income (in US$ without cents) and you get your exact rich list position, and a rank as a percentage of the population. I'm just outside the top 3%.

It's a useful exercise. The website hopes to encourage generosity by reminding people not to compare themselves to the rich, but the many many poor.

I can also recommend the barefoot investor website for friendly articles about everyday money stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment