Monday, October 10, 2011

Do not give me a penguin classics Wuthering Heights mug.

http://sidebmag.tumblr.com/post/5250363097/bookoasis-penguin-books-mugs
It's too cliched. It's so mainstream hipster, so "I'm an authentic book person". Had a conversation in the office about this. If you have to write your love for retro editions of classic literature ON A COFFEE MUG, you're trying too hard, and you probably love the image of the book more than the book. Authenticity is not an accessory.

I'm trying to own "being a book person" without owning a lot of books or a lot of book-loving paraphernalia. I think it is possible. You can certainly read a lot of books without buying them, just borrow them from friends and libraries. It saves money and space and effort when you move house and saves the trees books are made from, but it is a bit sad not to be able to display your bookishness with wild abandon.

No, having said this, I own a lot of books and I love them! I have a copy of Pride and Prejudice from the 60s with a hilarious garish historically incorrect illustration on the front. I have nearly all the Discworld series. I have Anne of Green Gables, Emily of New Moon, and other LMM. I have Narnia and illustrated Tolkien. I one day plan to own all the Arthur Ransom Swallows and Amazons books, and maybe the Harry Potter books as well.

But I stand by my point, no penguin classics mugs.

6 comments:

  1. hahaha I'm going to get you a penguin mug now ;)

    My friend Naomi had a brilliant solution. I wanted to borrow a book she was reading, but she doesn't live anywhere near me, so after I finished reading it, I simply popped it in the post. This saves on the transport potion it would cost to meeet up with someone. It saves spending money to buy it, or going to the library - I am infinitely lazy and never return things on time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, a Wuthering Heights one would be appropriate, because I don't like WH in any format. The number of layers of things I don't like within an object that is an accessory for things I do like — I may love it for the complexity of messages. And also that it came from you!

    Little told me about something where you leave a book at a bus stop and tweet it, and anyone can find it. I forget what it was called. It's a thing with a name, not just random littering and twittering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I disagree. I have to, because I consider myself an authentic book person (but no hipster) and I have penguin mugs :). I like them, they’re colourful. And some of them I like even though I have never read the book, like “thinking to some purpose”. I don’t see it as loving the image of the book more than the book – it’s loving a mug that says “thinking to some purpose” in blue. I actually chose the mugs based on other things I love too, rather than the books, like “country life” in sunshiney yellow. And I have something (not telling) that says “the lost girl”, just because I like that, and don’t really care about the book (though I don’t actually like orange).

    Personally, I think wearing music band t-shirts is worse. Authenticity isn’t clothing either. And I don’t know what that means they love more than the actual music. “Music people” are infinitely worse for collecting music related stuff that isn’t actually music. And what about “sport people” and all their gumph … Book people are only beginning to catch up. That said, I know it is in the nature of book people to defy all such flummery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gumph! I definitely agree that book stuff is much better than sports stuff, car stuff, Simpsons stuff... I'm a sucker for anything with a Jane Austen quote on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one of these mugs. Hg Wells, The Invisible Man, if you'd like to know.

    It's been nice reading your blog, but it looks like I'll have to take my business elsewhere. Maybe find some hipster blogs where I might be made to feel more welcome.

    Goodbye and good luck.

    ReplyDelete