Friday, October 28, 2011

All the single ladies' demographic trends.

The Atlantic magazine sometimes gets passed around the office (if you know the right people to ask) and it's a jolly interesting magazine. I read a whopping long article about urban density over several lunchtimes.

One of the best essays/articles I've read in a long time I found via Facebook last week, and it's online at the Atlantic. I've been telling people about it ever since. It's mainly about contemporary singleness. It's also a perusal of the modern Western concept of marriage (find your One True Love and live happily every after) and its (increasing ir)relevance today, for different reasons. It's not from a perspective that I really identify with, and I think Christian marriage has a unique place in society, and I'm not sure about applying the Decline Of Men idea in Australia, but the article covers A LOT of things I've heard about, observed or wondered about. It very much makes one think. And it's reminded me of stuff I take for granted, which I am very grateful for. While singleness is apparently on the increase, which is usually a depressing thought, there has never been a better time and place to BE a single woman, which is an amazing blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment