Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The age gap.

I wonder about old people. 

Our society talks about the "ageing population" and retirement age and other economic things, and also about the social contributions made by older people, like caring for grandkids while their kids work, volunteering in general, and then there are things like ANZAC day which honour the sacrifices of those who are now old, and also the burden of caring for the elderly.

In church (local, bloggy, Sydney, etc), I don't notice any equivalent conversations. The young are completely privileged. I won't list the privileges but I do like them :) I feel so blessed and cared for.

But older people are silent. It seems like they burrow down into their traditions and their 8.30 am services. It's hard to connect with them because we never see each other. Is it a problem? I don't know, but it's weird to live in a void. There are probably significant opportunities being missed for us to serve each other and build each other up, and society in general is having these conversations, so it's strange that churches sort of aren't, in my experience. Elsie goes to a morning church and I do sometimes, but still—in a big church there are so few reasons to share your life with anyone outside your demographic… That's my impression, anyway. I'm going to try and keep my eyes and ears open more now.

1 comment: