Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sewing.

Sewing is not a talent, it's a skill, so really anyone can learn it, just nobody can be bothered (I'm lucky I learned as a home-schooler). I know it's hard to have time to do everything, but I meet so many people who boast that they don't even know how to sew on a button. Which is frankly not something you should not boast about, because if you can tie a shoelace you can sew on a button, it's the same theory. In and out, tie a knot. So what is there to boast about? You prefer to be lazy and wasteful. Tut-tut. I wag my finger at you.

So, the good thing about sewing is that as well as being a creative outlet, you can save money. Girls of Slender Means should always be on the lookout for ways to economise, and although you can shop cheaply at SES, it's good to know how to mend a little, do basic alterations, or even make a really unique one-off piece of clothing. It's worth having a go.

Using a needle and thread is very straightforward, just like shoelaces. Using a sewing machine is the next step, and once you know you way around one you should be able to sew anything, because patterns come with instructions and anything you don't know you can google.

The ultimate achievement is sewing without a pattern. I am currently inspired by this blog, which has examples of refashioning (perfect for Girls of Slender Means), and easy tutorials. I currently have a half-finished attempt to turn a dress into a skirt.

And JessK and I are about to start a long planned skirt sewing project! We begin this Saturday with fabric shopping in the city. Fabric shopping is like buying art supplies, fun and full of creative potential! Oooh, I'm all excited!

4 comments:

  1. Inspiring blog you've linked to. We should run a jelssie tutorial on how to sew and how to hem. I can do a very basic thread and needle sew-in-a-straight-line, but that's it :( I should have done Textiles & Design in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can sew a button & even repair things, but sewing garments is a whole other kettle of fish! I remember having to make the obligatory pair of shorts in Year 7 but I don't remember how to do it, and I think I get stuck at the overlocking stage (because who owns an overlocker???)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had an overlocker. They aren't essential but they are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ultimate boring subject! Have you no interest in sport?

    ReplyDelete