Wednesday, September 21, 2011

KESC review: The Regent.

This is a bit old, and I have no photos, but it's not Kingsford Eat Street Challenge if there isn't some kind of review.

The Sunday before last we had the Sunday pub lunch challenge. We realised a little too late that there was a world cup game on, so I feared the pub would be noisy, but Australia didn't play till 2pm so we were OK, and there weren't heaps of fans either. Elsie kindly and spontaneously invited an older single man from her church, and he said yes, so he was new and there were 4 others of us.

The cheapest meals are just above the $10 mark, going up to around $20. We picked from the lower end of the menu, I had a burger and chips, others had steak and mash, and A had a chicken caesar that looked nice. The meals were huge, of course, so good value if you want a big feed (I did, because I did the Jillian DVD in the morning so my muscles were hungry!) They came out really fast, and they have a nice range of condiments, including chicken salt. The burger had beetroot on it, and onion relish I think, the bread wasn't very special but it at least wasn't dry, I hate those stale sesame buns you sometimes get. The meat looked a bit fatty, and indeed I did feel a little queasy later in the afternoon, but that might have been from playing on the swings with a full stomach. So I'd rate it a satisfying 3.7 stars out of 5.

The reason for the playing on the swings, other than for fun, was to fill in time until Passionflower opened at 3pm, because they were giving out free scoops of ice-cream! Elsie, F and I swung at Kenso park, by the way the bowling club there has new mini soccer courts, although F didn't agree swinging was as fun as I claimed. Then we loitered around the shops waiting for 3pm, but after the time passed we realised they were still building suspense and getting into the party spirit for the DJs and ice-sculpture. We didn't want any of that, and it seemed unlikely that they would let us march in for our free ice-cream without the party bit. But luckily we noticed that the vouches expired on Tuesday! So we gave up, said happy farewells, and E and I walked to Mbra, cos I had music practise for church already.

I think Sunday lunch works really well. We should try it again, although unfortunately the next place is not open then.

And PS, I ate my scoop of ice-cream on Tuesday walking home from work. I had cookies and cream flavour, which was not impressive. But the standard for C&C ice-cream is Connoisseur brand. I enjoyed it a lot anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment