Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Walk: listen, think, or vent.

I walk a lot, and since I walk alone around some dodgy streets, as a rule I do not carry valuables with me, including my ipod. Since the iphone, however, my 3-year-old ipod is probably not going to turn the heads of muggers, so now I walk with it a bit more.

Walking with an ipod makes it feel like you are in a movie—you have your own soundtrack. I never get that feeling when listening to music at my desk or at home. But when I'm walking around music feels like a soundtrack.

But, I like to walk without music as well, because when you do something rhythmic and mindless with your legs, your brain can spin away and think think think. "Walk. The body advances, while the mind flutters around it like a bird." (Jules Renard) A 30 minute "thinking" walk after work really clears your head.

Walking with someone is a whole nother lovely thing. You can vent opinions while venting energy. It is just as companionable a thing as eating together.

2 comments:

  1. I find the soundtrackiness of iPods even stronger on long train journeys. I always feel like it should be a major turning point in my life, running away from a difficult situation, or going to meet my destiny...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! I have a special TRAIN playlist for catching trains. It really only works if you are going intercity, though. Commuter trains are completely unromantic.

    ReplyDelete