Monday, April 12, 2010

Routines are not just for babies

Mothers are often very precious about their child's routine, because young children need routine to function properly. I have since learnt that routines aren't only good for babies - they're good for me too.

I used to prize flexibility over routine, because I thought flexibility allowed you to maximise opportunities. I wasn't smart enough to work out what a flexible routine might look like. Instead, I thought flexibility meant not having much routine at all.

I now know that having a routine helps me to achieve my goals, to do the things I want done.

So here are some of my preferred routines:

Saturday mornings
I'm a slow observer, but it's dawned on me that most people don't schedule social things on Saturdays mornings (unless it's a wedding) because they're usually sleeping in. Because I am a morning person and I generally don't sleep in, Saturday morning is a great time for me to knock off some major things before 10:30am. My Saturday morning routine varies, but at the moment, I enjoy doing the following in this order:

- morning exercise (it's a cool part of the day and there aren't too many people around)
- stretch while watching Rage
- breakfast while watching Rage
- morning grocery shop (and beat the crowds and the long queues)
- household chores

If I can get all that done while watching some Rage or Poh's Kitchen by 11am, I feel fairly chuffed. I feel as if I've had a productive, cracker of a morning and I know can enjoy the rest of my Saturday as I please.

Weekday nights
My one routine is to pack my bag and lunch the night before. I write out a to do list for the morning and next day as well if I know my brain can't handle remembering stuff. This is so helpful! It helps me to mentally prepare for the next day. I also usually spend one night of the week planning meals and planning my grocery shop. I also aim to be in bed by 10pm if possible, most nights.

Weekday mornings

My routine is to wake up at the same time most mornings, do some exercise, have brekkie, read my Bible, shower and then conquer my day!

I am such a fan of routines.

4 comments:

  1. I can't stress enough what a difference it makes to the weekend to skip the sleep in! Even if you don't do much, the fact that you are awake to enjoy the fact you aren't at work is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elsie, join us at brunch this Saturday after your morning routine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would explain why I never run into you at Coles. We have men's group at 8:00 am every Saturday, how's that for a start to the weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's an awesome start to the weekend Felix! That's commitment - 8am on a Saturday morning. Thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete