Monday, April 19, 2010

KESC Review: Delicious Satay Chinese Restaurant

The name
Is it Delicious Chinese? Or is it Delicious Satay Chinese? There seemed to be no consistency in name.

The vibe
It had a very country town feel to it. I'm not sure why. Maybe the interiors. They played very very old Jacky Cheung songs! I noticed :)

The food

We got our complimentary pre-dinner soup :) At first I was shocked by the small bowl that was given to us. Then I had to remember, there were only four of us, and the reason I'm used to seeing huge bowls of pre-dinner soup is because I'm used to eating out at Chinese restaurants with a large group of people.

The soup had carrot, potato and chicken bone.


Our entrée for the evening was sang choy bow. It was Jess K's idea to order it. The only time of the year I eat sang choy bow is on the first day of Chinese New Year. My family makes it vegetarian, as it's tradition to abstain from meat on that day.

I think Jess G and George had never had it before (am I right?). I take Chinese food for granted, so I was very surprised by that. I think George called it a lettuce taco? Or healthy taco?

Sang choy bow was hot and very tasty. Even the table behind us said in Cantonese, "Oh look! They have sang choy bow here. They're eating sang choy bow". Yes, yes we were.


We ordered honey pepper pork, prawns with vegies and shan dong chicken (the love of Jess G's food life). George found the taste of the honey pepper pork dish a bit unusual. I thought it was a yummy sweet dish (love anything with sugar). I was pleasantly surprised by the number of plump prawns sitting atop the prawn dish (even if were are frozen ones as Jess K claimed). I think the shan dong chicken didn't quite hit the spot for Jess G.


Last but not least, our complimentary post-dinner fruit: rockmelon! It was tasteless sadly. I would have preferred oranges.

Jess G's thoughts
Food was tasty. Came very quickly.

Also reasonable value, dishes were $11-$14, 3 dishes plus entrée was ample for 4 people, and came to $13.50 each. Plus you get rockmelon and soup, tea and water.

They slapped down our rockmelon before were were finished as a hint to get finished with our table!

Is not as crowded as other places, because of space between tables, and has air-con, so while not attractive it is very comfortable.

Rating
I was quite happy with it. 3/5

2 comments:

  1. I give it 1/5 for the rudeness of the plonked rockmelon. And yes, I have had sang choy bow before. Just didn't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elsie, you perfectly captured the Shan Dong Chicken. It was a nice dish, but not the nicest Shan Dong. More soy, less tang. And the sauce was at the bottom of the dish so the chicken was dry.

    ReplyDelete