Monday, April 5, 2010

Breaking rules

When it comes to buying storage containers, one of the golden rules of decluttering is:
  1. Cull the stuff you want to store, so you're left with stuff you want or need, not junk
  2. Assess your stuff and work out what kind of storage you need
  3. Buy the storage containers according to your need
This means you don't end up wasting time and money buying containers to store junk.

However, I broke all the rules today. I have a pile of stuff on my desk I can't deal with at the moment but I need the desk space. So I bought some containers. It occurred to me: in the time it took me to get to the shopping centre, look around, buy the containers and come home, I probably could have dealt with the stuff. Eh, I'm sure I need the containers anyway :P

3 comments:

  1. I'm still struggling with my Keep Nothing In Boxes rule. If it spends all its life in a box, you don't need it or the box.

    Correct use of storage is to store thing you do use in a tidy, convenient way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elsie (and Jess)!

    Long time lurker, first time commenter =P

    Just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading your blog. It educates/amuses/entertains me very much.

    In response to this post, I come from a long line of hoarders. My hoarding includes that of storage containers.

    hui yee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elsie I get quite worn out trying to bring some order into your life. May I suggest you lease a storage container,for life.There is a depot for one of the big firms near Eastgardens.You could do your shopping then deposit the items in your container nearby.

    ReplyDelete