Friday, April 16, 2010

Really long books.

I bought a book before Christmas, and I'm still nowhere near finishing it. It is the size of a study bible, and has about the same size font. It is not just long, it progresses slowly, so after reading it for 2 weeks and not much had happened it all felt tedious—until I realised I was only 1/8th of the way into it. Insert more patience and continue.

That's kind of the nice thing about a really long book, that it takes a long time to read. So once you acclimatise to the world, you can really soak in it. It becomes a very familiar place to visit, as opposed to short, fast-paced novels where you get in, bam bam bam, get out.

The really long book, by the way, is called Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, and is an obscure best-selling fantasy novel written slightly in the style of Jane Austen and set in the Napoleonic wars. What's not to like?

1 comment:

  1. Highly recommended by Neil Gaiman too. Unfortunately I haven't read it yet, but it's on my bookshelf ...

    ReplyDelete