Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Lesson 1 from 2009.

I made a mistake this year, which has been a long running annoyance. I bought a day to a page diary, instead of a week to a spread one. Maybe there are people out there who like a whole page for each day, but I'm not that busy. I do need help thinking ahead, however; I need to see this week, or next week, at a glance. I like to know if a day of the week is going to be on the left or the right. I like to count ahead the weeks by turning pages.

Buying a diary for the year is one of those special personal decisions. If you use ical, you might be organised. But you don't get to carry around a little book in your chosen brand, size, thickness, colour, surface texture, fonts. Even though my 2009 diary is a stupid day to a page diary, it is small, thick, red vinyl cover, with rounded corners, yellowy pages and an elastic closure, and it has stickers on it. It's a sort of statement.

2 comments:

  1. You do carry your diary around with you if you use iCal and can sync your phone.

    I use Google calendar, which syncs with iCal, which syncs with my Nokia. Yeah, it's a bit complicated, but it does the job. I used to be a paper diary person, but then Ben complained he never knew what was going on. Since making the change, however, I've got calendars for everything--one for me, one for Ben, one for both of us, one to keep track of various jetsetting family members, one for work things, etc. I like that I can turn them on and off, and I can customise the display however I like.

    They haven't stopped me from being too busy, however; nothing seems to prevent that from happening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made the switch to Google calendar and I haven't looked back. It helps that I look at a computer everyday at work. I find it works well for my work because it involves weekly and monthly cycles, so I can set up re-occuring tasks as events.

    I sometimes wonder what would happen if Google calendar crashed. I rely on it so much yet I don't back it up or sync it to anything. I really should learn how to sync it with iCal.

    Anyhoo, I often joke that Google is like God: I use Gmail, Google Docs, Google calendar and Blogger - they know nearly everything about me!

    ReplyDelete