Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The elderly are confronting...

...because they remind us that:
  • we won't be young forever (if we reach old age God willing)
  • our health and bodies will fail us and we will be frail
  • death is coming because they are closer to it that we are (notwithstanding other causes of death)
I saw a couple of elderly people today, both out with their son or daughter, who too, are getting old. If I never get married, never have kids, who'll look after me if I reach old age? Even if I got married, there's no guarantee that you'll have kids. Even if you had kids, there's no guarantee they'll be dutiful and care for you or even outlive you (this very sad account comes to mind).

Whatever situation you find yourself in, you truly have to rely on God.

3 comments:

  1. Very true. I think people are as frightened of old age as they are of death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be one of those old couples, who take ever so long to walk up the road, help each other get on and off the bus. Who still hold hands, and finds the others misplaced glasses. Maybe even matching walking frames. teehee..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matching walking frames! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete