Sunday, June 9, 2013

Thoughts on self-assembly

General thoughts on self-assembly:
  • I find it painful.
  • After I buy and assemble an item, I vow never to do it again. But I do. I wonder if it's like giving birth; you forget the pain and go for more?
Thoughts during a self-assembly process:
  • Why do my contents not match the picture? How am I going to make these contents look like the picture?
  • I live in a first-world country. Why are we still self-assembling?
  • Why didn't they teach us this at school?
  • I can't do this! Self-assembly is the only thing stopping me from being an independent woman!
  • Guh, I'll just move on the next bit and come back to the bit I'm struggling with.
  • Hell hath no fury like a woman who cannot self-assemble.
  • Come on, you're smart and you have a lot of common sense, you can do this!
  • I'm blaming the company! I'm blaming the product! There are not enough drilled holes and they've done it incorrectly! There's nothing wrong with me - there's something wrong with the product! A good craftsman never blames his tools, right?
  • Hmm...what shall I say to the company without coming across like a frustrated woman who can't put things together?
  • I'm paying for a pre-assembled product next time.
  • Hang on, this thing is actually coming together! Gasp!
  • (Admiring my handiwork) I'm a genius.
Difficulty and solution:

I got to the point where I just couldn't attach the bottom ring with the supplied nails and pre-drilled holes to the bottom of the hat rack I was trying to assembly. Thankfuly, I had some velcro from Daiso.


It's like a velcro cable tie. I might get anal and buy white velcro but at the moment, I don't mind it. Reminds me of my resourcefulness :)

1 comment:

  1. Haha, you ARE a genius my dear! And hilarious too. ;)

    ReplyDelete