Monday, June 24, 2013

Respect

I've got a lot of respect for one of my colleagues at work, because he's doing young adulthood right. I respect him because:
  • He lives out of home, in share housing. He's dealing with the trials and tribulations of living with flatmates and is living independently of parents.
  • He lives on his income (i.e. not getting any additional support from his parents). He's learning to live on what he earns.
  • He's a migrant and I respect that he's making a life for himself in a foreign country.
  • He's got a real heads down attitude towards study. We've both studied for the same professional qualification, while working full-time, except that he's done all his modules one after another, without breaks and without whinging. Unlike me.
  • He cooks for himself and often packs lunch to work. This shows he's organised and can take care of himself.
  • He finds the time to exercise regularly even though he commutes to work, cooks for himself and has to study. I struggle and I live a stone's throw away from work.
Just google "young adults living at home smh" and you'll see a litany of articles on young adults still living at home, but my colleague has got his act together and for that, I respect him.

No comments:

Post a Comment