Friday, November 4, 2011

My affairs with cafes.

Chai in Hobart with accompanying cup of honey.

I don't care much for cafes normally. There are a lot of them around me and I can't be particularly bothered with them. Good to go and sit in when my unit is too cold, but not very close to my heart.

But whenever I'm OUT of Sydney, I love finding a special cafe and owning it. Making it my cafe in Bathurst, my cafe in Maitland, in Katoomba, in Meriwa, in Goulburn. They are burned into my brain as "Cowra has a cafe with cinnamon toast and the bread is like a cloud" and I want to go back there. "Mudgee has a cafe with clean face-washers in the bathroom to dry your hands on, and Zero Japan teapots" and I want to go back there. "Morpeth has a cafe with banana chai lattes and white chocolate macadamia cookies" and I want to go back there. Obviously I'm so much happier when I'm road tripping than when I'm just trying to stay warm at home on a Saturday afternoon in winter, that the emotional connection makes the memories and attachment stronger.

7 comments:

  1. Which cafe do you go to in Goulburn? My grandma lives there so we go there a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Granny lives there too! I've been to one off the main street across from the park, The Roses. The food is stodgy and doughy, that might be good or bad. Granny prefers the Paragon, but it's less cafeish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised - I thought you'd be the kind to enjoy cafes no matter where you are. Now that I'm living out West, I miss the cafes in the inner west & the east near the beach. There aren't many good cafes out in the west.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'm wasting the abundance around me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a business opportunity, JJ!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We go to the Paragon a lot for family things. Really good food, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plus the Paragon is HUGE, so you aren't elbow to elbow like most cafes. And it has nice mirrors and a parrot mural.

    ReplyDelete