Thursday, June 10, 2010

A tip to help you sleep better

I have struggled for with my sleep a few years now. I would yawn constantly throughout the day (just ask any of my ex-housemates or good friends). My yawns were loud and epic. I felt tired, lethargic, had trouble falling asleep and absolutely hated waking up (because I wanted more sleep). I used to wake up as late as I could - I'd never see my flatmate in the mornings.

My health has had a huge turnaround. Now that I'm eating better and exercising nearly every day, my sleeping problems have pretty much disappeared (I don't know if weight loss is linked to it as well). I don't yawn anymore throughout the day. This is really amazing to me because I could not get through the day without yawning. Now I rarely yawn. I don't have trouble falling asleep anymore (except for the odd occasion), and I can wake up easily at 6am. In fact, I even see my flatmate in the mornings now!

However, I have noticed that when tiredness hits in the evening, I sometimes delay going to bed because of all the things I have to do before I can hit the hay (or is it sack?). I need to change into my jarmies (pyjamas), wash my face, brush my teeth and make my bed if I didn't do it in the morning. That seems like such a huge hurdle when you're tired. So I delay going to bed instead of riding that wave of tiredness into sleepland.

So this is my tip: get changed into your jarmies and do your pre-bed routine way before you get tired. For me, this would mean straight after dinner (don't like the idea of cooking and/or eating dinner in my jarmies. Don't know why. Just don't. Happy to snack in them though! I digress...).

That way, you can still do stuff before bed, but as soon as the first wave of tiredness hits, you can drop whatever you're doing and ride it all the way to the land of nod.

No comments:

Post a Comment