Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Running distractions

Running for exercise can be hard work. Sometimes you need to distract yourself so before you know it, you've reached the end of the street, or you've run a little further than you expected.

Here are my favourite distraction techniques:

Enjoy the view!
I'm blessed to live close to the ocean. So I enjoy watching the waves crash along the coastline, surfers paddling out, the sun rising or setting and I adore looking at the horizon. It reminds me of God and I praise him for his creation. And all this he made through Jesus! (John 1) If you can run in a pleasant environment, it can help a lot.

Breathe
I employ this technique especially when going uphill. Instead of thinking how my legs feel, I focus on my breathing. In and out. In and out.

Check your posture
I also like to think about my posture and how I'm running. Am I running upright? How are my feet hitting the ground? How are my arms?

This is what Australian Biggest Loser trainer Michelle Bridges says about running technique on pg 98 of her book Crunch Time:

Watch your technique: remember to keep your abs pulled in, chest lifted, shoulders back and down, neck long, chin in, face relaxed. Try to land softly without thumping your feet. The heel should strike the ground first and then naturally roll onto the ball of the foot. Use your legs like shock absorbers and try to keep your knees aligned with your toes, rather than having them roll or save in. Think light. Swing your arms and get yourself in a steady rhythm.

Look at the cute doggies!
This is similar to the first technique. There are lots of gorgeous dogs along my route, so I am always looking at dogs. Sometimes I say hello to their owners too!

The tricky thing is, if you are running to push your fitness levels, make sure you don't get distracted from keep your heart rate up. If you are just running to maintain current exercise levels, then distractions to get you through are great!

1 comment:

  1. That's a good summary of running posture. I googled to find out what I was sposed to be doing. Rolling the feet, shoulders back, hands low and loose.

    I also try and do little steps.

    ReplyDelete